The WØTLM VE Team holds six exam sessions per year. Exams for each license class (Technician, General, & Extra) are offered at all sessions. Most sessions accept walk-in applicants, but sessions held in association with WØTLM license course offerings require pre-registration, and course students have priority for seats. We charge no fees for examinations. See information below on what you will need to bring and how to pre-register for an exam session.
Exam Session Schedule & Locations
You can view all of our team’s scheduled exam sessions on the WØTLM web site calendar information, or at out Laurel VEC team web page. Our normal exam locations are:
Regular Quarterly Exam Sessions
1706 Lake Woodmoor Drive
Monument, CO 80132
WØTLM License Course Sessions (pre-registration required for non-students)
Black Forest Fire & Rescue
11445 Teachout Rd.
Colorado Springs, CO 80908
What You Will Need
New Applicants: If you are not a current FCC license holder, you must obtain an FCC Registration Number (FRN) before coming to an exam session. The FRN is required for your license application that results from your successful completion of the exam. See the instructions below for registering for an FRN online.
Upgrading Applicants: If you already have an FCC license, please bring your currently active call sign to the exam session. Having your FRN as a backup is also prudent.
All Applicants: All applicants should bring the following items to the exam session.
- FRN and/or active call sign (required)
- Current, valid, photo ID such as a drivers license, military ID, or student ID (required)
- Pencil or two
- Conventional calculator (no cell phone use allowed)
- The following information required for your application
- Full legal name
- Mailing address (PO boxes are allowable)
- Email address (usually same as that used for FRN registration)
- Optional phone number
- Answer to this FCC-required question: Have you ever been convicted of a felony offense? (Additional documentation requirements and FCC review before license grant for those answering affirmatively to this question.)
Pre-registering for an exam session will save time at the session needed to collect your application information. You may pre-register for any session by email to the WØTLM VE Team Lead, Stu WØSTU. Please include each of the application information items listed above in your pre-registration email to email@example.com.
We require an FCC Registration Number (FRN) for your license application. Please register for an FRN in advance of the exam session you plan to attend and bring your FRN to the exam session. To register for an FRN:
- View the first two short tutorial videos at this FCC web page.
(a. “Getting Started With the New CORES” and b. “How to Register an FRN”)
- Following the instructions from the videos, go to the FCC Registration System (CORES) and register for a Username. Complete the email registration when it arrives in your In-Box.
- Use your new registration to login to the CORES system and complete an application for FRN.
- Record your FRN when it is issued via the web site.
About Our VE Team
The WØTLM Volunteer Examiner Team is a Laurel VEC-affiliated team. Our sponsoring organization, the WØTLM Tri-Lakes Monument Radio Association (a Colorado-registered 501c3 organization), pays all expenses for examinations for our applicants. All team members are accredited by the Laurel VEC. Team lead is Stu WØSTU, with Deputy Team Leads Stephen KZØQ and Eric NØHIP. Questions may be directed to Stu WØSTU at firstname.lastname@example.org.